VOICE Membership Terms & Conditions
- WHO WE ARE AND HOW TO CONTACT US
www.voice-global.org is a “website” or “site” or “platform” operated by University of Newcastle upon Tyne, trading as Newcastle University (”We” or “Us”). We are a charitable organisation and our registered office and main trading address is Kings Gate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU.
To contact us, please email [email protected] or telephone our customer service line on +44 (0)191 208 1288.
- BY REGISTERING AS A VOICE MEMBER AND USING OUR SITE YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS
If you do not agree to these terms, you must not use our site.
We recommend that you print a copy of these terms for future reference.
- WE MAY MAKE CHANGES TO THESE TERMS
We may amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
These terms were most recently updated on 02 December 2020.
- THERE ARE OTHER TERMS THAT MAY APPLY TO YOU
- WE MAY MAKE CHANGES TO OUR SITE
We may update and change our site from time to time to reflect changes in our operations and our users’ needs.
Our site is made available free of charge. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our site for business and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
We may transfer our rights and obligations under these terms to another organisation. We will always tell you in writing if this happens and we will ensure that the transfer will not affect your rights under the contract.
- DO NOT RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS SITE
The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up to date.
- WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WEBSITES WE LINK TO
Our website contains links to other websites. These terms and conditions only apply to this website so when you link to other websites you should read their own privacy statements.
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
- USER-GENERATED CONTENT IS NOT APPROVED BY US
This website may include information and materials uploaded by other users of the site. Although we will try to monitor all information uploaded, this information and these materials may not have been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on our site do not represent our views or values.
If you wish to report any information and materials uploaded by other users please use the reporting function or contact us at [email protected]
- OUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE SUFFERED BY YOU
We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- UPLOADING CONTENT TO OUR SITE
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site, or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the Code of Conduct Guidelines at Clause 14 of these VOICE Membership Terms and Conditions.
Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but in uploading any contact you are required to grant us, and other users of our site, including any organisations we partner with as part of VOICE initiative, a free licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties. The rights you license to us are described below in Clause 11.
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We have the right to remove any posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in our Code of Conduct Guidelines at Clause 14.
You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
We do not store terrorist content.
- RIGHTS YOU ARE GIVING US TO USE MATERIAL YOU UPLOAD
VOICE aims to gather insight and harness the views and experience of citizens to influence research, policy and stimulate innovation. We would welcome others to use content from the VOICE Digital Platform to help us achieve these aims.
With this in mind, when you upload or post content to our site, you grant us (Newcastle University) and any other users of the site, the following rights to use that content:
i) a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable and fully sub-licensable licence to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare, display and prepare derivative works of, any content posted or uploaded by you onto the website in any media or format.
ii) a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable licence for other users, including our partners and collaborators, to use, reproduce, distribute or display any user-generated content for their purposes where such content has been contributed, posted or uploaded by you onto the website in any media or format.
- HOW WE MAY USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In becoming a VOICE Member, there is no obligation to take part in any activity and any information requested in addition to the core joining details will be given entirely at your discretion. We will always endeavour to ensure that any information requested is relevant and proportional to the activity it is being requested for.
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
For further information visit www.aboutcookies.org.uk. You can set your browser not to accept cookies and the aforementioned website will tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However in a few cases some of our website features may not function as a result.
- CODE OF CONDUCT
In using our website and participating as a member of the VOICE initiative, you are agreeing to abide by our Code of Conduct guidelines. These Codes of Conduct guidelines are designed to balance freedom of speech while ensuring a productive and disciplined attitude is maintained by all users of the site.
We will monitor the site for any activity which we deem to be inappropriate conduct or usage.
For this purpose inappropriate conduct or usage shall include (but may not be limited to) any activities that are judged to be:
- Defamatory - Adversely affecting the reputation of a clearly identifiable person, company or organisation.
- Personal - Including private information about yourself or other people
- Offensive - Material or comments that might reasonably be expected to cause distress to others. Members agree to act in a civil, tasteful and polite manner and agree not to use vulgar language. Such material or comments could relate to gender, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, disability or other similarly sensitive issues
- Harassing - Harassment is unwanted conduct (including insults and 'jokes') affecting the dignity of another, including written attacks on another person or aggressive pressure or intimidation. Comments should not be mean-spirited, or contributed with the intention of causing trouble. Members should show respect for users of all ages and abilities
- Obscene - Material or comments that are offensive, indecent or pornographic, including anything of a sexual nature
- Confidential - Any information, disclosure of which would constitute a breach of the common law duty of confidentiality
- An incitement - Any material or comments that seek to influence another to the commission of a criminal offence
- In contempt of court - Disclosing information about live court proceedings before that information has been heard in court or where reporting restrictions are in place. Please note that VOICE will generally bar any comments relating to court proceedings, as they cannot be expected to know or investigate the legal status of individual cases
- Party political - Any comments that are clearly party political in nature. This is particularly relevant during elections, and those postings that canvass support for, or opposition to, any political party
- In breach of copyright - Comments that may infringe any of the laws governing copyright. VOICE accepts no liability whatsoever for any actionable breach of such laws
- Using multiple log-ins - If you use multiple log-ins for the purpose of disrupting the community or annoying other users you may be barred from the forum
- Duplicate, overly trivial repetitive or trivial Postings - For instance spamming or off-topic material
- Impersonation Postings perceived as impersonating another through user name or views
- Using vulgar or offensive user names
- One to one arguments
If you see something on www.voice-global.org that you think is offensive, infringes your or anybody else's copyright, is defamatory or is unlawful in any way, you are requested to let us know is by using the 'report' button located at the top of each discussion post. This will immediately remove the post for monitoring by us and we will take appropriate action. If you have a complaint or are concerned about the conduct of a user or any content outside of the discussion forums please contact us by email or telephone. Your privacy will be respected at all times.
- DIVERSITY AND EQUALITY
The VOICE initiative places equality and diversity at the heart of our work and we actively seek to support inclusion of groups and individuals who are often excluded from research and innovation. We value involvement from a variety of cultures, experiences and perspectives and are guided by the principles of the Equality Act 2010. We will undertake to ensure that, wherever possible, anyone wishing to take part in VOICE activities has an equal opportunity to participate.
- HOW TO CONTACT US
Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions about our terms and conditions.
We make every possible effort to ensure that the information published on our website (http://www.voice-global.org) is up-to-date and accurate, but accepts no legal liability for errors or omissions. We reserve the right to make changes without notice.
We do not actively monitor every posting on our discussion forum pages; therefore, we make no claims as to the accuracy, integrity, timeliness or quality of such content, nor can we undertake to respond to or enter into correspondence regarding individual comments or requests.
All views and information, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted are individual and not the views, policy or advice of VOICE. Member generated content is the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated.
We have provided a mechanism through the report function for any member to report for monitoring any comment that they feel is inappropriate. We do reserve the right to remove any contributions that break the rules or guidelines set out in the Code of Conduct and will take action to remove members who are in breach of these terms. Any removal or banning of a member or their comment is binding and the decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into nor will we be obliged to explain such actions.
We are not responsible for the actions of individuals or content of third party sites.
This agreement shall be governed in accordance with the laws of England. The terms and conditions of this agreement are subject to change by VOICE at any time. Any user's usage of this site following changes shall indicate the user's acceptance of the new agreement.