Defining Long COVID symptoms
Terms like "fatigue", "brain fog" or "muscle weakness" are often used in surveys to monitor how many people are experiencing different symptoms during the COVID-19 outbreak. But we understand symptoms mean different things to different people.
When carrying out research to understand (and define) a new condition such as Long COVID, it's important that as many views are captured and the different experiences are explored, including where there are similarities and differences with other conditions.
That's why, researchers from Imperial College London are carrying out this citizen science-style "challenge" as part of Imperial's REACT-Long Covid (REACT-LC) study, so those affected by ongoing symptoms are involved in shaping the research going forwards.
What will I be asked to do?
- Post a written or visual description on our 'challenge' page of any ongoing/recurrent/long-term symptom you have experienced after or because of COVID-19, e.g.
- Post-exercise malaise feels like...
- Brain fog = ...
- For me, fatigue means...
- It can be in your own words and/or using a picture or drawing of your choosing/design
- We’re particularly keen to hear about the symptoms you feel aren't well described, or even those that overlap with other health conditions or remain unexplained
- If another post perfectly describes something you’ve experienced, you can 'Like' it to let us know you agree
When and where?
All online, respond any time. Open all year.
Will I get anything for taking part?
- Your input will help us improve the way we design our surveys, inform what we explore in our interviews, as well as give us (and others viewing the page) broader insight and understanding of what ongoing COVID symptoms actually mean to those affected.
- We also hope this challenge will spark a bigger, more collaborative campaign to visualise, understand and define the symptoms and/or effects of COVID-19
How do I take part?
Simply click the 'Take me to the challenge' button. This will take you to our 'Challenge' page on VOICE where you can 'Share your idea' of what COVID/Long COVID symptoms mean to you.
Things to note:
- VOICE allows you to use an alias username so that you can share your thoughts anonymously, if you wish.
- By contributing to this challenge you agree for your comments or images to being publicly available and may be used by us and others as part of promoting the research or sharing experiences of Long COVID. We will credit content to the username shown
- If you change your mind about this or have any questions, please email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Defining Long COVID symptoms Discussion
Login / Register to take part in this discussion.