Cutting Edge - PPI Representative
Sorry, this opportunity is closed and you can no longer apply to take part
Each year ten million surgical procedures are undertaken in the UK. Surgery remains the primary treatment for majority of patients (around 50%) diagnosed with cancer. Sadly, one third of all deaths in the UK happen in people within ninety days of a surgical procedure.
‘Cutting Edge’ is a new, innovative HDR-UK aligned health data research hub in surgery and will:
- Acquire and combine high-quality health and surgical data, making it more accessible for researchers, health professionals and life science companies.
- Facilitate research into new diagnostics, surgical treatments and outcomes leading improvements in surgical care.
- Work with patients, the public and health professionals to ensure the data is used transparently and responsibly and returning benefits to the NHS and the wider UK community.
We are looking for a number of patients, carers and members of the public to be involved. You do not need to have previous experience of PPI or be an academic to take part.
What will I be asked to do?
We want to involve patients, carers and the public from the very start, helping us to; shape our future, prioritise our areas of research, assist with grant applications and so much more besides. Like the name of the project, we intend to be at the cutting edge of PPI as well ensuring that we have truly empowered and meaningful ‘Patient and Public Involvement’ (PPI) input across all aspects of our new and evolving organisation and working beyond the traditional boundaries of PPI.
PPI members will be involved in:
- Gaining an understanding of the strategic aims and development of the Cutting Edge Project.
- Have a keen interest in the ways that different types of data may be brought together.
- Develop a high-level understanding of the Project’s data governance and data safeguards, policies and key activities which underpin the achievement of those aims.
- Build public and patient confidence in Cutting Edge and raise any concerns or issues for communication to the Cutting Edge Advisory Board via the Cutting Edge PPI Steering Group Chair (especially with regard to matters of data security, transparency and consent)
- Identify areas of potential research which addresses unmet need and where relevant types of data are not contained within the Cutting Edge list in focus.
- Review, comment and question on any unusual requests for Cutting Edge activities where a member does not feel that aspects are in the best interests of patients and the public.
- Pro-actively identify aspects of work which would benefit from PPI contribution
Members will be able to select their level of involvement and the time they commit.
When and where?
There will be a webinar taking place to gain further information on Thursday 9th December, 13:30pm - 15:00pm via Zoom to gain further information.
Will I get anything for taking part?
You will be reimbursed for any 'out of pocket' expenses.
Cutting Edge - PPI Representative Discussion
Login / Register to take part in this discussion.